Monday, May 10, 2010

Star tracking

I have always wanted to track stars, like one of my recent projects with my partner we decided how fast a star would travel through the lends of a telescope, and how different the stars really were from planets. By the means that from how far out they are. The project was successful, but I want to do one similar. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. Stacy,

    Star trails could be a fun way to investigate both the movement of stars relative to Polaris and star color. You could shoot several long exposure images of different lengths and measure the movement of the stars based on the length of their "trail". You could also look into the different colors you observe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's sounds great! How would I get started?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy (or is it Spacy?),

    Make sure you use a sturdy tripod to keep the camera stable when you make your long exposure. And protect the camera from the wind!

    Another fun idea is to take multiple exposures of the moon as it traverses the sky. For a cool example see the picture of the eclipsing moon in the Tetons at
    http://www.planetary.org/explore/topics/planetary_analogs/parks.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's Stacy, and the picture was amazing! The idea about the moon was interesting too, but how would I put that into a question? Then would I test the moon to see how fast the moon would travel? or would it be something else? I'm going to be in a different place than I am now during the summer so would I focus on the moon over the time period down there, and then when I come back up could I do the same time period, and then compare them?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.